Wednesday, October 14, 2009

By tomorrow I meant...


right now.

So, here's a veritable crotchload of the U.S. stuff I currently have in a drawer that goes unloved.

1) Zombi 2, Zombie Flesh eaters, etc,etc.  

Fulci's most popular film has one of the most iconic images in all of posterdom.  The worm eyed Zombie.  This actor is actually doing the convention circuit right now signing his worm faced wares, so catch him before he fades back into obscurity.  My copy has bent corners, so I stole an image to make myself look like a big deal.  You really can't grasp how massive that face is on the poster until it's infront of you.  Oh, and the "red" colour is really more of an orange, so there you go.

2) Pieces.

If you can imagine, my fiance wanted this one.  I asked her what she'd want up in our apartment if she could have one single poster and she picked this thing.  It's not a nice poster at all, but it would be perfect for a 15 year old jerk who had a bedroom in the unfinished basement of his parents house.  He'd have a stepdad that he'd hate and in his spare time, which is between hating the world and staring at girls he'll never fuck, reads Fangoria for the pullout posters.  Assholes read Fangoria.

3) The Hills Have Eyes

Let me just say that the remake was a better film.  Now please write that down.  

I can't put my finger on what it is about the poster that makes it so iconic, but the orange hue and Michael Berryman's puss plead a good case.  It just has that 70's vibe all wrapped up in it.  The font choice is so wonderfully dated and authentic.  it's got this ugly charm that makes it impossible to ignore.  I can imagine that this struck a chord in theatres oh those many years ago.  Potentially my favourite poster.

4) The Thing

Man, if there were a way to explain how much I adore this film I'd surely have done it on television. Maybe during a New Years eve interview just to spice things up a bit amidst all the "are you having a good time?" questions.  This poster reminds me most of the early 80's Sci-fi/horror boom.  I recall seeing it in my youth and just retaining the image my entire life.  Drew Struzan (who was sort of played by Thomas Jane in The Mist) nails the mystery of the film, but not the horror.  However the simple figure shadowed with mystery(not darkness, but mystery) in the arctic says enough.  This was a gift from the same lady who wanted the Pieces poster and is invaluable to me because of how hard it was for her to get.

5) Conan the Barbarian

My God, a non-horror poster?  Yes, by Crom.  Much like the other posters here, it's a definitive image and most obviously takes me back to a time in the past where the master artists had a hand in promoting these films.  Look at that power.  

I loves me some Conan, sir.  

I'll continue this...keep watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment