Wednesday, October 14, 2009


 

Ah the fall cometh!  As does the Iceman according to popular opinion, however I'm not talking about him at the moment.  I have become inspired to do one of these scan blogs the kids seem so excited about, but I can qualify myself by doing it BEFORE 30, that way I can continue because of "popular demand".  You know, "Honey, I would look after the kids but this is a lot of work and I need to buy more posters."

So, after a vast and lenghty hiatus, let us away.

I've always had that collector bug thing.  Some call it the "obsessive personality".  Coming from someone who has drawn 100,000 pictures there may very well be some credence found in that assessment, however seeing as many other folk (and non-folk alike) find solice in the financial ruin of others, let's take a trip through all of the weird shit I seem to have ravenously needed at some point in my life.

Japanese Horror Posters!

1) the Incredible Melting Man.

Here's a great place to start because this poster is the hardest for me to justify owning at all.  Firstly, I've never seen this movie.  I have no idea who is in it, who directed it, or what it's about aside from giant melting faces.  But the image is so great I deemed it necessary to buy the fucking thing.  So, just look at it.


2) The Evil Dead

You have to admit, trash is far better than class when it comes to advertising a horror film.  the original US 1-sheet (27x41.5"ish) had the woman reaching to the sky in the graveyard, which is a lovely image.  But this has a she-demon screaming at you with neon blood drip and clipart images of Ash.  I think you'd look at this poster before you'd notice your hat was on fire, personally.

As a side note, the typical Japanese poster is 20"x28.5", also known as a "B2".  originals are printed on various paper stocks, so knowing you've got an original might sound difficult, but the simple trick is to smell it.  Does it smell like your Grandpappy's attic?  It's real.

3) Cannibal Holocaust

I think I'll buy any poster that has a prefix before "holocaust". But really, this has got to be one of the most mind blowing posters you've ever seen.  It has a dead naked woman with a pole jammed up her ass and cannibals eating away right next to her.  Imagine being in Japan back then and trying to explain this to your kid.  It's about as hard as explaining it to my parents when they saw it.  Also, if you want to earn some sort of useless stret cred, this is likely the height of obscurity.  It's not even a native land poster, it's from Japan.  Now put on your ascot and strut you gorgeous bastard!


4) If you didn't believe me, here's the poster for ZOMBIE holocaust.

I really, really love this poster.  Probably bordering on sexual tension, we both sit there alone waiting for the other to make a move.  Look at this thing!  It's like a Sears photostudio glamour shot of Zombies.  The frontal focus Zombie amuses me.  He's always looked like a zombified pirate lion to me. He has some sort of muzzle to him that five shades of adorable.  Questionably however is that rot in the Phillipines will cause skin growths over your eye.  Remember it folks.

5) The Burning

This is the second japanese poster I ever owned.  Not being a huge fan of the film, but a huge fan of shadows jabbing scissors towards your face, it's a win.  I noticed at Cinema Wasteland in October that the US 1-Sheet has an alternate title of "Cropsy" which is exceptionally lame and misleading. The character doesn't crop anything, rather he clips it, if he brandishes scissors that is.  So, I'm going to call him "Clipsy" if there are no further objections.

6) the Satanic Rites of Dracula

Probably the most valuable of the bunch and again, a film that I can't be bothered to watch.  I know, I know it's a Hammer film with Lee in it.  I get it, don't assume I don't (please?) but there's a lot on my list right now and shots of mansions and heaving bossum are low on it.  Well, maybe the mansions are.  But here's a great example of the superior design aesthetic exercised by the Pacific rim artists.  The layout reeks of action, which the film really didn't have, but the sweeping pieces are just grand.  

I'll pop up the US one-sheets tomorrow if I'm feeling saucy.

No comments:

Post a Comment